If you are contemplating a career in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, nursing or other health profession, how do you start? Begin with basic science courses. Volunteer and serve others. Find experiences where you can engage with patients and people with health care needs and observe the health profession you are contemplating. There is no rush to do these things. Completing courses and preparing for a health career will take you several years. Set a flexible plan that you can evaluate and adjust yearly, be open to opportunities, work with your prehealth advisor, and refer to this website when you have questions.
What Should You Do?
- For new students we have these documents that may make your planning a little easier
- Sign up for the email listserv. Be sure to sign up for our useful Email Listserv. This is our primary way of communicating with you, and it gives you access to our weekly newsletter. Our newsletter has announcements, tips, reminders of deadlines, opportunities for jobs, research, volunteering, summer activities and notices of seminars, info sessions and visits from medical schools and other representatives. You can subscribe, or unsubscribe, at the link above or by using the QR Code below.
- Check this website when you have questions
- Attend group workshops, small group advising sessions and drop-ins regularly
- If you are a predental, prephysical therapy or prevet join the student group