Click a question to see the corresponding answer below.


I'd like to do some research in my first year. How do I get started?
  • Disciplinary Directors of Academic Engagement can help you articulate your interests and learn how to find research opportunities that fit your interests and goals. It's best to meet with a DAE after you've been on campus for a while and had some classroom experience. To discuss opportunities for humanities research, request a meeting with the DAE for the arts and humanities. For science, request to meet with the DAE for natural and quantitative sciences. For social science, request to meet with the DAE for the social sciences.
  • Check the Undergraduate Research Support Office's page related to getting started in research.
  • Volunteer or find a work-study job as a research assistant to a professor or a research position in a laboratory (the humanities labs or a science lab, for example) for more experience. Work-study positions are posted on JobX.
  • Enroll in a course with a mode of inquiry code of R (for Research) .
  • Search for opportunities on MUSER.

back to top

I'd like to explore some out-of-the-classroom opportunities. How do I start?

Learn more about the Service-Learning program and enroll in a Service-Learning course. Schedule an appointment with a DAE after you are settled in classes.

back to top