Last updated: September 29, 2021
TO: PRE-LAW STUDENTS APPLYING FOR ADMISSION TO LAW SCHOOL
FROM: Patrice Barley, J.D. PRE-LAW ADVISOR, 04 ALLEN BUILDING e-mail: email@example.com
If you are applying for admission to law school for you will find the whole process much easier if you organize your efforts, keep accurate records, and monitor your files. Below is a timetable of application procedures.
- Get latest law school information from our SAKAI site: Prelaw
- Sign up for the next LSAT if you have not already taken it. Check www.LSAC.org for deadline information.
- Sign up for Law Service Credential Assembly Service as per the instructions found online at www.LSAC.org.
- Make an appointment to talk with the Pre-Law Advisor, Dean Barley. Before seeing her, please
- fill out the Pre-Law Information Sheet Prelaw Information Sheet
- prepare a tentative list of law schools you are considering.
- view on SAKAI the videos on the application process.(Dean Wilson and Dean Brown from Fordham)
- Secure application materials (including financial aid applications if necessary). Please visit: www.LSAC.org for information about electronic applications.
- Take the LSAT if you have not already done so.
- After receiving your application forms, write your basic essay or essays. If you wish, Dean Barley will read these essays and make suggestions. You do not need to make an appointment. Email the essays to firstname.lastname@example.org and she will respond soon.
- Give out recommendation forms to professors. You are will use the Law School Credential Assembly Service (CAS) for all recommendations.
- Complete applications by Thanksgiving.
- After you receive your LSAT score (if taken in the fall) check briefly with Dean Barley for additional suggestions, if necessary.
- If you are applying for financial aid, obtain the federal FAFSA form online: www.fafsa.ed.gov fill it out, and return it. Keep a scan of this form as filled out or a PDF/printed copy if online.
- Monitor your files on-line making sure all items, CAS reports, recommendations, etc. are in or your file is complete. If any item is not in, contact the appropriate agency/person.
- When you have been accepted to a school that you wish to attend, notify other schools that have accepted you that you will not be attending.
- If there are problems or questions, or if you are waitlisted at your first choice school, see Dean Barley.
- Pay deposit to school you will be attending, or if you are on the wait list at your first choice school, make sure you have placed a deposit to hold your seat at your “second choice” school.
- Order a final transcript from the Registrar's Office (showing graduation date) to be sent to the law school you will attend.
- Please, fill out and return the survey form emailed to you from the Pre-Law Advising Office.
- Send Dean’s Certification/College Questionnaires to email@example.com and send signed form as PDF.