Last updated: September 22, 2017
TO: PRE-LAW STUDENTS APPLYING FOR ADMISSION TO LAW SCHOOL
FROM: GERALD L. WILSON, Ph.D., PRE-LAW ADVISOR, 04 ALLEN BUILDING
Phone: 684-2865, Fax: 684-3414, e-mail: email@example.com
If you are applying for admission to law school for you will find the whole process much easier if you organize your efforts, keep accurate records, and monitor your files. Below is a timetable of application procedures.
- Get latest law school information from Pre-Law Advising Center, 04 Allen and attend one of the workshops on the application process for applicants.
- Sign up for September LSAT. Check www.LSAC.org for deadline information.
- Sign up for Law Service Credential Assembly Service as per the instructions found online at www.LSAC.org.
- Make an appointment to talk with the Pre-Law Advisor, Dean Wilson. Before seeing him, please
- fill out the prelawinfo-sheet-doc.original_0_0(1).docx
- prepare a tentative list of law schools you are considering
- attend on of the workshops on the application process
- Secure application materials (including financial aid applications if necessary). Please visit: www.LSAC.org for information about electronic applications.
- Take the LSAT if you have not already done so.
- Make appointments to see law school recruiters as appropriate. Check your email, and the Pre-Law Bulletin Board outside of 04 Allen for recruiting dates and BUZZ. Appointments may be scheduled in 04 Allen Building.
- After receiving your application forms, write your basic essay or essays. If you wish, Dean Wilson will read these essays and make suggestions. You do not need to make an appointment. Leave the essays with Terry. Dean Wilson will read these overnight and you can pick it up the next day.
- Give out recommendation forms to professors. You are will use the Law School Credential Assembly Service (CAS) for all recommendations.
- Get applications in.
- After you receive your LSAT score (if taken in the fall) check briefly with Dean Wilson for additional suggestions, if necessary.
- If you are applying for financial aid, obtain the federal FAFSA form from the Financial Aid Office or online, www.fafsa.ed.gov fill it out, and mail it in. Keep a photocopy of this form as filled out or a printed copy if online.
- Finish up applications.
- Monitor your files on-line making sure all items, CAS reports, recommendations, etc. are in or your file is complete. If any item is not in, contact the appropriate agency/person.
- When you have been accepted to a school that you wish to attend, notify other schools that have accepted you that you will not be attending.
- If there are problems or questions, or if you are waitlisted at your first choice school, see Dean Wilson.
- Pay deposit to school you will be attending, or if you are on the wait list at your first choice school, make sure you have placed a deposit to hold your seat at your “second choice” school.
- Order a final transcript from the Registrar's Office (showing graduation date) to be sent to the law school you will attend.
- Dean’s Certification/college questionnaire should be sent to Dean Wilson