What do the Global/Civic DAEs do?
The Global and Civic DAEs are committed to advancing the development of undergraduate students' global awareness, citizenship, and civic engagement through one-on-one specialized advising. They help you integrate your academic interests with opportunities beyond the classroom, and help you identify programs that best fit your interests and goals. The Global and Civic DAEs have broad knowledge of the many varied opportunities for engagement at Duke, and are strong advising partners for students eager to explore these opportunities. Read their biographies before scheduling an appointment - each DAE brings their own global and civic experiences to every advising meeting.
There are five different types of Global and Civic DAE meetings
- Exploratory - Discover the myriad opportunities and programs at Duke. Especially recommended for first-year students.
- Four-Year Planning - Discuss how your multiple co-curriclar pursuits can fit into your four years at Duke, often incorporating study away and summer programs. Recommended for students who feel settled on their academic path and want to talk through optimal ways to incorporate their academic and co-curricular goals.
- Pre-Departure - Begin preparing for a study away program, DukeEngage, or other international or domestic experience off campus. Recommended for students interested in exploring how to derive the greatest benefit from their off campus experience.
- Post-Participation Reflection - Reflect on your international and domestic experience after you return to campus. Recommended for students interested in discussing how their experiences away from Duke can inform and enrich their remaining time at Duke.
- Senior Exit Interviews - Before you graduate, take some time to reflect on your time at Duke, and begin fine-tuning the narrative that will inform the future. Recommended for students looking to make wholistic sense of their Duke experience, and discuss transition strategies from college into professional life.
A sample of Programs and Opportunities
- Bass Connections
- Study Away/ Abroad
- Volunteer and service learning opportunities
- Cross cultural experiences