Directors of Academic Engagement are specialized advisors, DAEs for short. We meet with Trinity and Pratt students of all class years and majors and offer four specilaty areas:
- Global & Civic Engagement
- Arts & Humanities
- Natural & Quantitative Sciences (*on hiatus until Spring 2020)
- Social Sciences
You can see one or several DAEs, in any order, at any time, and as often as you want.
What we do for students
- Explain key differences between programs and departments to help you find what's right for you
- Create four-year plans for different major/ minor/ certificate scenarios
- Share co-curricular opportunities linked to your interests, including some you might not hear of otherwise
- Recommend faculty members for you to get to know (and coach you on how to approach them)
- Make suggestions on how and when to get involved in research
- Figure out how and if you can make study abroad and civic engagement part of your academic plan
- Help you set goals, reflect and PRIORITIZE to get the most from your time at Duke
Students typically OPT in to see a DAE when they have questions like these:
- "I'm torn between a couple different fields or opportunities, and I don't know how to decide"
- "I feel like I should be more involved on campus, where do I start?"
- "What should I do with my summer?"
- "I want to study abroad, but I don't think I can fit it in with my major/pre-med/engineering curriculum"
- "I love this major, but I don't know what I can do with it career wise"
- "Everybody around me is talking about getting involved in research, but I don't actually know what that means"