Once you have decided on a major, follow these steps to declare it:
- Begin on the Planning Tab, in DukeHub. This is where you’ll find your Advisement Report, Long Range Plan, What If report, and your Planner, to select future courses. The Planner and What If report are planning tools in which you identify the courses you expect to take during your remaining time at Duke.
- Complete the Long Range Plan. You’ll answer four questions about your future plans, reflect on your choice of major in a brief essay, and complete a brief survey about your pre-major advising experience.
- Run a What If report. Select your intended major and any minors or certificates, create a new report, and view it as a pdf. This will show you how your past and current courses are meeting requirements, and what general education and major/ minor requirements remain (certificates aren't programed to show remaining requirements).
- Add courses to your Planner. Select the courses you plan to take to satisfy all remaining general education and major requirements and place them in your Planner. You will then assign these courses to the semesters you expect to take them, so you'll have 4-5 classes a semester for your remaining semesters. You’re probably not going to follow this plan exactly and that's okay. If you plan to study abroad in a Duke-in program, you can add the courses you expect to take. If you don’t know where you will be studying, or what will be offered, just enter courses for that semester as if you would be at Duke. Delete any courses you didn't assign to a particular semester.
- Run a new What If report. All requirements should show as satisfied, and you shouldn’t have any courses that are dated past your graduation semester. If you do, go back into your Planner and delete them. If some requirements aren't satisfied, go back into your Planner and find courses that will satisfy them. If you have trouble completing your What If report, the AAC peer advisors are happy to help.
- Schedule an appointment with your college advisor to review your What If report and essay. Bring a printed copy of your essay and What If report. Your advisor will confirm that both are accurate and complete and sign your essay.
- Bring your signed essay and What If report to the Academic Advising Center. We will review and process them, and notify the Registrar and your major department(s).
- What if you change your mind? You can change your major, and add minors and certificates at any time without having to redo your Long Range Plan. Instead, there is a simple form on the Registrar’s web site that you use to submit changes to your plan.
- For more detailed instructions on completing the What If report, and Long Range Plan, go here.